The tooth decay is an infectious disease which consists of the destruction of dental hard tissues by the presence of bacteria.
It is one of the most prevalent chronic diseases in children and adults worldwide. Caries is estimated to affect between 60 and 90% of the child population of school age and almost 90% adults all over the world.
The appearance of cavities is closely related to Lifestyle, fundamentally from eating habits and oral hygiene and the high sugar consumption.
Is there a relationship between sugar consumption and tooth decay?
Although there are other factors that can determine the cause of a cavity, it has been shown that the excessive sugar intake is narrow and straight related to the appearance of caries.
The explanation is that sugar favors the tooth erosion and therefore, facilitates the penetration of caries bacteria into its interior.
With good habits you can prevent and reduce the disposition to suffer from cavities.
How to prevent tooth decay?
- Avoid eating between meals
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste at least 2 times a day.
- Limit sugar intake
- Use the floss to effectively remove bacterial plaque.
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes.
- visit your dentist at least 1 time a year.
Other consequences of excessive sugar consumption
- It produces a increase in bacterial plaque that accumulates on the teeth.
- The plate stored inflames the gums, producing dental sensitivity and giving rise to the possible retraction of the gums and favoring the appearance of periodontal diseases.
- Increased production of acids erode enamel.
- can appear dental cavities, which require the intervention of a professional.
Follow one balance diet It is beneficial for oral health and for this, control sugar intake is essential. Even so, you can enjoy your favorite sweets in a controlled way and always following good eating habits. dental hygiene.
Haven't you had a dental check-up in a while? Make your appointment at the Dr. Vilar clinic by calling 93 201 71 52 or send us a whatsapp to +34 636 64 80 59.